Jobs at Manning
We have an opening for a full-time Acquisitions Editor to acquire quality books and authors in the field of computer science. The ideal applicant will have experience in a similar role and be looking to move to a leading publisher with greater responsibility and flexibility in their day-to-day role. Some experience with computer technologies would be a major asset.
What you'll be doing:
- Internet research and reading to stay on top of market developments
- Contacting potential authors to discuss potential book projects
- Mentoring potential authors in the preparation of book proposals and book plans
- Market research in order to find data to back up proposals
- Presentation and discussion of proposals with the publisher
- Negotiation of contract terms, royalties and advance payments
- Overseeing books through to publication
- Day-to-day contact with other members of the team: editors, marketing, publisher, production
- Active participation in launch and marketing of books
- Helping development editors with issues concerning authors, content and schedule
- Writing the marketing and back cover copy for new titles
To Apply for this Position:
This is a remote working role and the successful applicant will demonstrate an ability to manage their own time and workload while maintaining a high level of quality output and consistent performance. In return, Manning publications offers a unique opportunity to work with flexible working hours and remuneration based partly on performance. To register your interest in the role please send a covering letter along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Manning Publications Co. seeks a Developmental Editor to work directly with book authors to create high-quality manuscripts on time. Ideal candidate is a critical thinker who skillfully identifies and articulates weaknesses in a manuscript's organization and writing, adopts a coaching/mentoring role with authors, firmly but diplomatically communicates with authors, works both independently and in a distributed team environment, and reliably meets deadlines. Candidates must possess passing knowledge of software concepts and technologies (such as mobile application development, responsive design, cloud computing, big data and analytics, and agile and lean development). This is a great position for someone looking for part-time work (15-20 hours a week).
- Coach authors on techniques for how to teach difficult or important concepts in their manuscript
- Identify opportunities for authors to improve organization, presentation, clarity, and value to the book's intended audience
- Continually assess manuscript content at a high level Manage the book-development process so that authors are completing manuscripts by due dates
- Ensure that manuscripts adhere to Manning's writing guidelines
- Provide project status and content assessment to publisher, acquisition editor, development manager and other Manning staff
- Contribute to the ongoing assessment and improvement of editorial procedures and standards
- Perform occasional tasks related to the marketing of books
[Please note: This position does not include copy editing duties]
- General understanding of technical concepts, software development, and current industry trends
- 1+ years previous substantive editing experience
- Must be available for a minimum of 20 hours per week (primarily during U.S. business hours).
- Strong project- and time-management skills
- Excellent organization and multitasking skills
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), Adobe Acrobat, and other tools required in an online environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; comfortable communicating via email, Skype, and phone
- Must have remote office setup (computer, Internet and email access, reliable phone line)
Previous experience in a book publishing environment
To Apply for this Position:
Email your resume and two references to email@example.com with job #1404MannDE in the subject line. If selected for an interview, be prepared to complete an editing sample. This is a freelance, telecommute opportunity (no travel).
Marketing Communications Specialist
The Marketing Communications Specialist is Manning's primary communicator with our customers, authors and associates. Responsible for drafting, developing and producing clear and compelling content, including promotional mailings, web content and other communication pieces. Engage directly with customers, communicating and addressing any issues on all social media channels. Support and cultivate relationships with current and potential customers, authors and retail partners.
- Write copy for communication and marketing material, including the company website, promotional mailings, forums and other social media.
- Play key role in developing and executing social media strategy.
- Monitor, engage and build online conversations and communities that support social media strategy and other marketing efforts.
- Ensure brand consistency and writing standards through all marketing materials.
- Monitor and help resolve customer inquiries and issues on all social media channels.
- Stay on top of social and digital media trends and new technologies; identify new opportunities.
- Work closely with marketing team and other cross-functional staff.
- Track and report to management regarding social media initiatives.
- Serve as backup for Manning's Customer Support representative.
- Perform other duties or special projects as required or as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, with ability to write about technical subjects. Excellent writing, grammar and editing skills.
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms.
- Possession of both creative and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a virtual/remote environment, and handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter, highly organized, detail oriented and self-disciplined.
- Strong computer/technical skills.
- Knowledge of the industry, including technical publishing and emerging technologies, is a plus.
- 3 to 5 years of marketing communications or other relevant experience.
- BA Degree, preferably in a related field such as Marketing, Communications, or Computer Science.
To Apply for this Position:
Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and put mcs-2014-11 in the subject line. This is a full-time, telecommuting position.
About Manning Publications
Manning is an independent publisher of computer books for software developers, engineers, architects, system administrators, managers and all who are professionally involved with the computer business. We also publish for students and young programmers, including occasionally for children. We are an entirely virtual organization based on Shelter Island, New York, with many staff working from far-flung places like Manila and Zagreb.