|Learn SQL Server 2012 in a Month of Lunches
Grant B. Fritchey
MEAP Began: September 2011
Softbound print: Spring 2014 | 325 pages
|Order today and start reading Learn SQL Server 2012 in a Month of Lunches today through MEAP|
|MEAP + Ebook only - $35.99|
|MEAP + Print book (includes Ebook) when available - $44.99|
|* For more information, please see the MEAP FAQs page.|
|About MEAP Release Date Estimates|
Table of Contents, MEAP Chapters & Resources
|Table of Contents||Resources|
Part I: Getting started
1. Dive into SQL Server - FREE
2. Creating a database - AVAILABLE
3. Configuring the server - AVAILABLE
4. Securing the server - AVAILABLE
5. Securing the database - AVAILABLE
Part II: Protecting your data
6. Database backups - AVAILABLE
7. Restores using database backups - AVAILABLE
8. Checking the database storage - AVAILABLE
9. Tools to control necessary maintenance - AVAILABLE
10. Scheduling operations in SQL Server - AVAILABLE
Part III: Creating databases, structure, and code
11. Create a table - AVAILABLE
12. Adding data to the table - AVAILABLE
13. Reading data out of the table - AVAILABLE
Part IV: Creating Data Structures
14. Relating tables to each other - AVAILABLE
15. Controlling how data is stored - AVAILABLE
16. Speed access to the data with an index - AVAILABLE
17. Masking the data with views - AVAILABLE
18. Storing SQL Server queries using stored procedures - AVAILABLE
Part V: Tuning and tweaking SQL Server
19. What is the server doing? - AVAILABLE
20. Which queries are called most often? - AVAILABLE
21. Ways to make the machine work for you - AVAILABLE
22. How did that query run? - AVAILABLE
23. More ways to control SQL Server - AVAILABLE
24. Things to make your life easier - AVAILABLE
25. What to do when things go wrong - AVAILABLE
26. How and Where to Get Help - AVAILABLE
Appendix: Installing SQL Server
Some IT pros choose to be DBAs, getting the required training and certification before tackling the challenge of maintaining a SQL Server database. Many others, however, find themselves thrust into the role of database administrator out of necessity. These accidental DBAs need to ramp up quickly and concentrate on the concepts and techniques that will give them the biggest payoff in the shortest time.
Learn SQL Server 2012 in a Month of Lunches is perfect for someone who wants—or needs—to learn SQL Server on the fly. Just set aside an hour a day—lunchtime would be perfect—you'll be up and running faster than you thought possible.
On first glance, SQL Server seems massive and even a little scary. This unique book breaks it down into a series of small lessons that you should be able to complete, on the job, over lunch. You'll start at the beginning by learning what SQL Server is. Then you'll immediately begin creating tables in databases and move on to other topics like entering, managing, and querying data. Along the way, you'll pick up key techniques like backups, stored procedures, security and maintenance that will keep SQL Server healthy and make you more productive. So bring your lunch back to your desk and start learning SQL Server.
- Learn SQL Server at your own pace--no experience required
- Create your first SQL Server database
- Practical techniques for routine maintenance
- Lab exercises so you can practice as you learn
With this book, anyone can learn SQL Server. All you need is a little motivation, a good lunch, and an hour a day for a month.
About the Author
Grant Fritchey works for Red Gate Software as a product evangelist. He has been a Microsoft MVP in SQL Server since 2009. Grant has worked as a DBA, database developer and software developer on large-scale applications in languages such as VB, C#, and Java and has worked in SQL Server since version 6.0. He is the author of SQL Server Execution Plans and SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled.
The Month of Lunches concept was developed by Don Jones.
About the Early Access Version
This Early Access version of Learn SQL Server 2012 in a Month of Lunches enables you to receive new chapters as they are being written. You can also interact with the authors to ask questions, provide feedback and errata, and help shape the final manuscript on the Author Online
Want to learn More?
Sign up to read more content when it is released and to receive news about this book.