|Clojure in Action, Second Edition
MEAP Began: February 2013
Softbound print: Fall 2013 | 450 pages
|Order today and start reading Clojure in Action, Second Edition today through MEAP|
|MEAP + Ebook only - $39.99|
|MEAP + Print book (includes Ebook) when available - $49.99|
|* For more information, please see the MEAP FAQs page.|
|About MEAP Release Date Estimates|
|Every purchase includes a free ebook of the previous edition!|
Table of Contents, MEAP Chapters & Resources
|Table of Contents||Resources|
PART 1: GETTING STARTED
1. Introduction to Clojure - FREE
2. A whirlwind tour - AVAILABLE
3. The building blocks of Clojure - AVAILABLE
4. Polymorphism with multimethods - AVAILABLE
5. Clojure and Java Interop - AVAILABLE
6. State and the concurrent world
7. Evolving Clojure through macros
8. More functional programming
9. Types, Records, and Protocols
PART 2: GETTING THINGS DONE
10. Test-driven development and more
11. Scalable data storage with Clojure
12. Clojure and the Web
13. Scaling Clojure systems with messaging
14. Data processing with Clojure
15. Creating domain-specific languages (DSLs) in Clojure
Lisp gets a bad rap for being old school. In fact, so-called "modern" languages like Python, Java, Ruby, and C# are still catching up to Lisp's built-in concurrency features, full macro support, immutable data-structures, and high-performance elegance. Clojure is a new Lisp that runs on the JVM and offers full interoperability with Java libraries. It's perfect for creating small, fast, concurrent code that maximizes the potential of multi-core processors. While Clojure is most often used for large-scale, data-heavy, mission-critical applications, it is also perfect for writing DSLs and utilities.
Clojure in Action, Second Edition is a fully-revised edition that covers the new features available in Clojure 1.5. This easy-to-follow book provides a rapid introduction to the Clojure language, trading abstract theory for practical examples and application advice. You'll start by learning how to use Clojure as a general purpose language. Next, you'll quickly delve into Clojure's efficient concurrency model, which is based on the familiar database concept of Software Transactional Memory (STM). Then you'll find a new level of productivity through Clojure DSLs that will run on the JVM. Along the way you'll discover countless tips, tricks, and techniques for writing smaller, faster, safer code.
- Understand what the big deal is all about
- Learn Clojure without Lisp's academic baggage
- Functional programming basics
- Concurrency programming with STM
- Clojure macros - code that modifies code
- Interoperate safely and effectively with Java
- Scaling-out Clojure applications through messaging
- Processing big-data with Clojure
Written for developers familiar with a programming language like C, Java, Ruby, or Python. Prior experience with Lisp is helpful but not required.
About the author
Amit Rathore has 12 years experience building large-scale, data-heavy applications. He's currently developing production Clojure code for a highly distributed, high-load, real-time big-data system.
About the Early Access Version
This Early Access version of Clojure in Action, Second Edition enables you to receive new chapters as they are being written. You can also interact with the authors to ask questions, provide feedback and errata, and help shape the final manuscript on the Author Online
Want to learn More?
Sign up to read more content when it is released and to receive news about this book.